The ONF-Certified SDN Professional Program (OCSP) provides a strong foundation of vendor-neutral knowledge and skills validation for engineering professionals wishing to improve their careers and gain advancement in the world of software defined networking. The program seeks to provide independent validation of both concept level skills for new entrants as well as technical level engineering skills for professionals working in SDN environments, either development or deployment.
WHAT IS SDN?
The physical separation of the network control plane from the forwarding plane, and where a control plane controls several devices. SDN uses OpenFlow-based separation of control from packet-handling, but also automation technologies that help make the network fully programmable, and virtualization technologies that free function from the constraints of cabling and topology.
The SDN make the network agile and flexible and less dependent on specific arrangements of specialized physical devices without embracing the primary means (applications, control plane, OpenFlow, data plane).
Ideal for product marketers, technical sales & support professionals and entry-level engineers in the SDN ecosystem, this certification verifies that the successful candidate has vendor-neutral conceptual knowledge of the major domains of networking practices that support the theory and practice of Software Defined Networking (SDN).
Is it worth the time and effort to seek and earn a certification in SDN? In a word, yes! While the true value of an ONF certification will always be evaluated by each SDN professional, and this is a new program, we look at other IT skills certification programs and see the following benefits:
- Advances your career potential by setting you apart from the competition.
- Drives personal satisfaction of accomplishing a key career milestone.
- Helps improve your overall job performance by stressing continuing professional development.
- Recognizes that you have invested in your analytics career by pursuing this rigorous credential.
- Boosts your salary potential by being viewed as an experienced analytics professional.
- Shows competence in the principles and practice of analytics.
- Demonstrates commitment to the field.
- Proves to stakeholders that your organization follows industry-standard analytics practice.
- Increased agility by making it possible to reconfigure the network from a central point.
- Increased flexibility by making it possible to deliver any network function on any network port; a node's location in the network no longer determines what services can be delivered to it.
- Reduced vendor lock in by separating controllers from data plan devices.
- Reduced capital costs by making data plane switches generic commodity items and allowing controller and applications to run on standard server hardware.
- Reduced maintenance costs.